Bryer’s Sassenach Cullen Skink
Time: 40-45 minutes
- 500g smoked haddock
- 500ml milk
- 1 medium sized onion (roughly chopped)
- 2 large white potatoes (dice sized pieces)
- Knob of butter
- 100ml dry white wine
- 100ml double cream
- 500ml chicken stock
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 100g smoked lardons
- 1 lemon
- salt & pepper
- 1 handful of flat leafed parsley (chopped)
- 1 handful of chives (chopped)
- Add haddock to a pan of milk & gently simmer over a medium heat. Cook for 8-10 minutes (until the fish turns opaque). When poached, remove the haddock and set aside the warm milk.
- Fry the cubes of potato with the butter in a saucepan. Add the lardons and onion. Stir gently, cook until the onions are soft. Do not allow to brown.
- Add chicken stock, white wine & lemon juice – simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Flake haddock, removing bones. Then add to saucepan with milk, cream & English mustard. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Season & stir. Sprinkle with chopped parsley & chives.
- Serve with crusty bread & butter.